Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sprouted Moong Daal (Green gram)

It is a very healthy dish. Also, the recipe is simple, takes very less cooking time and ingredients.
I make this dish more for breakfast or as an evening snack rather than as a festival or occasional dish. It works great, needs just some planning and no time to prepare. It takes full 36 hours to sprout this daal properly. So if I need the dish on Monday morning, I soak them on Sat.

To make Sprouted Beans:

Soak Moong daal (green gram) overnight (about 10-12 hours). Then drain and  tie them up in a cloth or  keep them in a covered container (I do it this way and it works well) for 12-14 hrs for them to sprout.

Ingredients:

2 cups Sprouted Moong Daal
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp split black gram
2-3 dried red chillies split into halves (per taste)
2-3 tbsp fresh grated coconut - optional
2 tsp chopped Cilantro (coriander leaves) - optional
1 tsp oil (olive oil to make it healthier)
salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice or to your taste - (this is optional but I prefer with it)


Method:

Heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds .
When they start spluttering add the split gram and red chillies.
Once they start browning, add the coconut and saute for a minute (no need to brown or over do it).
Switch off the stove, add the sprouts and toss with salt and lemon juice until properly mixed.

Optional - Steam the sprouts for couple of minutes before tossing them with the garnish.

Variations:

My household is not a huge fan of coconut so I make this dish without coconut, a variation from the traditional method.

A variation which I love and make most often is with carrots when I have them in my fridge. I use 1/4th cup grated carrots to the above recipe, toss in grated carrots and sprouts together; it tastes yummy and needless to say healthier as well.

As another variation, I tried adding tiny celery pieces (1/4th cup Celery to 2 cups sprouts); it was delicious too (to my taste buds since I love celery) and I received good comments from family!!

I sometimes sprinkle chopped onions and / or tamoatos, it also tastes good to me but I don't prefer it. The idea is to eat healthy sprouts and not make the dish and process complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment